Thursday, July 1, 2010

To Clean or Not to Clean

The first couple of weeks I got here, I washed my hair everyday and bathed twice a day. Since then, there has been a gradual decline in how much I shower. For a while I washed my hair every other day. This morning, it had been 4 days since I'd washed my hair. I have also been majorly procrastinating on the laundry. I mean, why make the neighborhood boys haul up any more water than they have to, right? The entire neighborhood's water has been out for over a month, and I don't forsee the pump getting fixed anytime soon. Oh Ghana. Elizabeth always tells me how nice my hair is when I wash it. "Sarah...your hair is so beautiful today!" She also likes it when I braid my hair. I am leaving for the weekend to go hike around Lake Volta, and she told me to call her when I got there. That sounds familiar :). I threw off the entire household last night, because I was doing a community outreach and got home at 10 pm. Elizabeth waited up for me even though she usually goes to bed around 8. At least today is a holiday so she didn't have to go to work! It was really quiet this morning on my way to work, because everyone has today and tomorrow off for Ghana's Republic Day. I think that my host mom and my real mom are kindreds. Emmanuel told me a story last night about how Elizabeth hides chocolate from everyone else in the house when she gets it-- I knew I liked her! I'm going to buy some chocolate in Accra this weekend (even though apparently Ghana produces a lot of cocoa, it is really hard to find chocolate here) so I can make them chocolate chip cookies next weekend. Next weekend is my last weekend in Ghana, so I have lots of plans with the host fam already! Baking, swimming, soccer, cooking lessons... hope we have time to get everything done!

2 comments:

  1. I remember Gertie hiding candy!!!!HAHA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! I told my host brother last night about how Mums used to put ice cream in her Slim Fast...he thought that was really funny :)

    ReplyDelete